Bomarsund Trailrun is a cross-country race along the trails in the historic Bomarsund, Åland Islands. You can choose to run approx. 12km or 4,5km in varying terrain.
NEW 2018 is a shorter and easier route (1km) for the youngest participants!
What is Trailrunning?
Trailrunning is to get around along marked paths at your own pace. Trailrunning is not so much about hunting times or measuring kilometers but more about finding the feeling that it should be fun to run. One allows the terrain to set the pace and let the feeling, and the pulse, follow the terrain which may be a mix of different surfaces.
Both in the US and in Europe, this form of exercise gained increasing attraction among runners, partly because it is a great form of exercise, but also for the perception of the environment / nature in a whole new way. Many who practice trail running makes it more and more for the experience while getting very good training. One must take into account the terrain leading to larger parts of the body have to work – the training is more varied than the usual traditional running.
Bomarsund Trailrun offers in addition to all this is a historical experience when the participants run past historic buildings, through several graveyards from the past and pass all the turrets (or the ruins of them) built around the fortress area.
Classes and distances 2018
There are three different distances and totally eight different classes in Bomarsund Trailrun.
Bomarsund Trailrun LONG
- Approx. 12km
- Start Saturday 4.8, at 2.35 pm
- Classes: men, women, boys (≤ 18 år) and girls (≤ 18 år)
Bomarsund Trailrun SHORT
- Approx. 4,5km
- Start Saturday 4.8, at 2.30 pm
- Classes: boys (≤ 14 år) and girls (≤ 14år) and open class
Bomasund Trailrun MINITRAIL
- Approx. 1 km
- Start Saturday 4.8, at 2.40 pm
- For juniors and adults that follow along with the younger participants
Registration and fees 2018
When you register you can also book following:
(available also for non- partcipants)
1. Lunch from Furulundsgården for only 6€/ person. They serve chicken in sweet and sour sauce, jasmine rice and salad, water and milk for lunch from 12.00-4.30 pm. Gluten- and lactose-free, also vegetarian alternative.
2. “All-inclusive” day-packet for 40€/ person, in co-operation with Eckerö linjen
The packet includes:
- Bus Stockholm/Uppsala – Grisslehamn roundtrip
(Stockholm start at 7.30am, back at. 9.30pm. Uppsala start at 8 am, back at 9.15 pm.)
- Boat tour with Eckerö-linjen roundtrip
(Departure from Grisslehamn at 10am. Departure from Eckerö at 6.30pm)
- Brunch onboard
- Bus Eckerö-Bomarsund roundtrip Observe! Registration-packet is handed out on the bus!
(Start towards Bomarsund at 1 pm. Back towards Eckerö at 5.15 pm)
When the trip is approaching, a booking number for bus and boat will be sent to the e-mail address you provide in the registration!
3. Bus roundtrip (Mariehamn – Bomarsund – Mariehamn) for 9€/ person. Start from the bus station at 12.30 pm, return from Bomarsund at 5pm.
Read more about other options and accommondation at Travel & Lodging
Registration fees 2018
Adult – 25€
Junior (≤ 18 år) – 10€
Minitrail – 5€ (Adult companions free of charge)
Adult – 35€
Junior (≤ 18 år) – 10€
Minitrail – 5€ (Adult companions free of charge)
Late registration on site 4.8, until kl. 13.30
Adult – 45€
Junior (≤ 18 år) – 18€
Minitrail – 10€
The registration fee includes following:
- chip- timing
- fluid points along the route and at the finish line
- keepsake to all participants at the finish
- chance to win raffle prizes
- lunch at a bargain price, even for family members
(for those who pre-register to the race)
The terrain during the first part of the LONG-distance consists mostly of small roads and paths in beautiful cultural landscape with two short mountain passes. During the second part of the LONG-distande, at the same time the whole SHORT-distance, its more uneven terrain, relatively steep slopes and even an approximately 35m long staircase. Along the routes, participants also take part of the beautiful and mighty views of the waters surrounding the Bomarsund. The environment can not be described but must be experienced.
The trails are marked with permanent bluered marks on poles and trees that show you the way! Also additional signs and streamers along parts of the track.
Map for LONG (12km, red) and SHORT (4,5km, green)
Route descripiton and map for the mintrail coming under spring 2018!
Prizes and prize award ceremony
All participants will get a unique Bomarsund – keepsake (from Ele & Kele) at the finish line.
Unique trophy awarded to the fastest men and women at the LONG-distance. The fastest in the boys and girls classes (≤ 18 years and ≤ 14 years) also receive prizes.
Raffle prizes among all participants in Bomarsund Trailrun. These are raffled and awarded at the prize award ceremony, which means that the participant needs to be there in order to receive their prize. If the prize winner isn´t there there prize will be raffled to somebody else.
Prize award ceremony will be held at Saturday 4 August, approx. at 4.30 pm in Bomarsund
Other information and timeschedule
The package includes bib number and timing chip. The bib number is fastened with safety pins (included in the package, don´t need to be returned) in the front of the body.
Registration packets are picked up as follows:
At the race office in Bomarsund on race day at 10am- 1.30pm, pre- registered until 2.15 pm.
Timing is done with chip (included in the start package) attached around the ankle with Velcro. The time is calculated from the start (starting shot) until the participant cross the finish line
If a participant cancel the race, the chip shall be returned to the race office without delay. After finishing the race to organizers take care of the chip.
For non-returned / lost the chip the participant will be charged 90€.
First aid- trained personnel present in Bomarsund. In case of a serious accident, call 112!
3-4 fluid points along the route and at the finish line. Details of their location later in the up- coming event-PM.
Please don´t litter our nature! Throw e.g. garbage into garbage bags found at the fluid stations.
Audience Friendly Places
As an audience, you can follow the participants i.a at the following locations;
- From the field at the start- and finish area. There is a beach right next to the start- and finish area
- At the Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant cemeteries (Prästö).
- On the way towards Prästötornet; participants come out on the dirt road approx. by the harbor and then run out to the site of Prästötornet.
- By the greens east of the main fortress
- Notvikstornet, Djävulsberget and Brännklintstornet are easily accessible by car and can see when participants round the towers.
Toilets and showers
Toilets: Two portable toilets located east of the main fortress. At the beach south of the main fortress are two outhouses.
Shower / changing room: There are no dressing- and / or shower rooms. Beach right next to the start- and finish area.
Bags can be left in the race office during the race.
Parking recommended along the so-called Gamla Postvägen.
Bomarsund Trail Run is a running event with only open classes and thus are no competition, participation with common sense.
Please bear in mind that trail running isn´t so much about hunting times or counting kilometers, but more finding the feeling that it should be fun to run. However, there are those who love to run the race as fast as possible so please let them pass you, especially at the start where it can be a little crowded.
The participants gives the race organisation the right to use pictures and film material taken during the race to be used free of rights in the future marketing of the event.
Participation in Bomarsund Trailrun at your own risk. The Organizers isn´t responsible for any accidents that occur during the event. Participants are recommended to have their own accident insurance
Handed to the organizers who keep them during the current season (until 31.10.2018) if they haven´t been collected during the competition weekend.
After the season, leftovers are submitted to charity organizations.
If you for some reason have to cancel the race, you should notify the nearest volunteer.
We think about nature!
The disposable vessels that we use during the contests are compostable and are sorted during/after the contest. We are Kranmärkt-certified, which means that we don’t give out bottled water during the contests.
We are constantly working further on this and our goal is to be eco labelled in the future!
Cancellation is eligible for reimbursement according to the following:
- up to 4 weeks before the race with a full refund minus 5€
- 4-1 weeks before the race with a 50% refund
- 7-2 days before the race with a 30% refund
- for cancellations made within 2 days before the race there is no refund or relocation for the following year’s contest.
Cancellations shall be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by attaching a scanned document of the payment transaction of your registration fee or a print screen of the transaction.